Thursday, September 11, 2008

Don't Write Important Emails When You're Down

I recently drafted an update to my investors right after I had gotten some bad news about my business. Fortunately, I sent the investor update to a friend to read before I sent it out, and he stopped me from sending it. It was a real downer, when in fact most things were going very well. I was shocked when I re-read it the next day, and grateful that I had an opportunity to rewrite it.

There are a lot of ups and down in business, and when you're writing anything important--communicating to your Board or your investors, sending a note to a client, even writing a grant application--a temporary feeling of pessimism can cloud your message. If you're feeling down, DON'T WRITE ANYTHING. If you're not sure, wait a few hours and then draft your communication. But most importantly, have someone else re-read any critical messages before you send them, and see if they respond how you want the recipient to respond. Most of the time, that important message can wait until the next day, when the sun has come out and you're feeling positive and energetic once again.

No comments: