Saturday, September 27, 2008

Get a Hobby, Too

After a few months of entrepreneuring, I started to get the feeling that my friends were getting bored with hearing about my business--and nothing but my business. I realized that I had put all my energy and focus into one thing, and I was becoming a dull boy..(all work and no play).

I did a few things to change that. I started a monthly Giving Circle, which is a monthly dinner in which someone makes a presentation about their favorite charity, and all the participants write a small check to that charity. I also started writing a book, and eventually a blog. Then I started a vegetable garden, and learned to cook Indian food.

All these things gave me fresh ideas, interesting topics to share, and even some new friends. I was able to have a conversation without blathering on about my business. And these hobbies give me an occasional respite from the intense focus of starting a company.

No comments: