Sunday, October 26, 2008

Humility is the Key

I recently attended a ceremony honoring innovators in my state, and the two top winners gave short speeches. One thing that struck me in both speeches was their humility. Both winners spoke about the legions of people who make their success possible, and how they really had little to do with it! It was all about the others.

That got me thinking about the role of humility in a successful startup. Another entrepreneur I know thinks she knows everything -- you can't make a suggestion, offer her an idea, or posit another possibility. She will tell you why you are wrong and she is right. Yet she hasn't raised a single dime of investment funding. Could there be a connection?

Everyone who invests in my business is going to believe they know something I don't--they not only want to help me succeed, they are going to expect it. And so do I! Everyone I talk to knows something I don't. Why wouldn't I want to learn from them? Why wouldn't I want to hear their ideas and opinions? I gladly accept advice from anyone who wants to give it. I am thankful that people care enough about me to offer their advice and give me their time. I'm sure they have other things to do, but they've chosen to spend this part of their day with me, and I'm going to listen to what they have to say. And be grateful so many people want to see me succeed. Whether I take their advice or not, I am humbled that they are willing to share it with me.

No comments: